The popularity of stainless steel is an enduring trend that shows no signs of letting up. Stainless steel appliances lend a modern and polished look to home kitchens. But how do you clean them? Ah, we’re glad you asked. Here are our tips for getting and keeping your stainless steel appliances clean.
Before we dive into the tips, we recommend you check your owners manual for any cleaning recommendations. While stainless steel is very durable, not all appliances are the same. Also, never use steel wool or other abrasive tools to clean stainless steel. They’ll leave scratch marks on your appliances that you’ll never be able to wipe way.
Now, let’s get to the tips.
1. Preventive maintenance: Make it a habit to wipe your stainless steel appliances clean using a wet cloth. Then, use a dry cloth to buff the stainless steel and remove any water marks.
2. Soap and baking soda: For tough stains and stuck-on food, you can make a paste with baking soda and a little water. Apply the paste and use a little elbow grease to remove the stain. Then with a clean, damp cloth, wipe the stainless steel clean.
3. Vinegar removes oil: To remove those oily fingerprints, you can use undiluted vinegar. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar, spray on the stainless steel surface and then wipe clean with a soft, dry cloth.
4. Go with the grain: When cleaning stainless steel appliances, follow the “grain.” On most appliances, this means wiping in a back and forth motion, working from the top of the appliance to the bottom.
5. Baby oil: For a little extra sparkle, and to prevent future fingerprints, you can use a little baby oil. Squirt a small amount of baby oil on a soft cloth and spread across the stainless steel surface.
If you like the industrial look of stainless steel appliances, chances are you’ll love the Kenmore Pro suite. The Kenmore Pro line of appliances offers professional performance and styling without the professional price tag.