Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and stem removed.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Freshly ground pepper.
- 2 slices of cheese (provolone, blue cheese, smoked Gouda, cheddar, or mozzarella).
- Toppings (pesto, lettuce, spinach, arugula, tomatoes, pizza sauce, roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes).
- 2 wheat rolls, toasted.
In a small bowl mix together your balsamic vinegar, olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Place the portobello mushrooms in a plastic bag and pour the marinade over them. Let the mushrooms marinate for 30–45 minutes. Preheat the grill. Brush the grill with a little olive oil and place the mushrooms step side down on the grill. Cook for four minutes. Flip the mushrooms over (stem side up) and cook for two more minutes. Top with your favorite cheese and let cook for two more minutes on the grill, until the cheese has melted. Place the mushrooms on a toasted bun and add your favorite toppings to your burger. Serve with a side of chips, pretzels, or carrot sticks.
Yield: 2 Servings
Cook Time: 8 minutes