You can spice up your traditional macaroni and cheese dish with a helping of smoky chipotle flavor.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
662 per serving
- 10 cup water
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2-1/2 cup macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large chipotle in adobo sauce, seeds removed and minced plus one and a half tsp. adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cup heavy cream
- 14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, preferably Glen Muir brand
- 1-1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cup coarse, good quality breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
Pour water in a large stockpot and add the salt. Bring to a boil then add the macaroni. Cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain and toss with 2 tablespoons butter.
Prepare Cheese Sauce
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add chopped chipotle and garlic and cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; add milk, tomatoes and reserved 1-1/2 teaspoons adobo sauce. Cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Pour sauce over cooked pasta and add cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese; stir to combine.
Assemble and Bake
Spoon pasta mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven.
Make the Breadcrumb Topping
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saut pan over medium heat. Add salt. Add breadcrumbs and toast until nice and crunchy, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Broil and Serve
Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over top of pasta. Return to oven and broil for 2 minutes, until topping browns. Garnish with chopped chives and serve. Recipe created by Parties That Cook www.PartiesThatCook.com