Five Classic Pieces
As an interior designer, I often incorporate the same pieces in multiple homes, even when my clients have very different tastes. These five classic pieces are so versatile – and they make a big statement when used as the focal point of a room.
- A traditional space with dark woods and fabrics is the perfect backdrop for a contemporary sofa in a camel chenille accented by bronze nail heads. Update it easily with bright accent pillows as trends and taste evolve.
- With contemporary décor, a sofa in a pale or neutral ultrasuede adds luxury without sacrificing comfort or durability.
- Mix traditional chairs, antique side tables and modern lighting with a contemporary sofa in crimson, chocolate, deep blue or yellow; try a silk-wool blend.
- A casual-chic space with slipcovered club chairs, bright coral accents and glass lamps sets the stage for a sofa in a cream cotton-linen blend.
- A contemporary sofa in a home office makes for an inviting, multifunctional room.
Kenmore PRO™ Dual Fuel Freestanding Range in red
- Don’t hesitate to let this statement-making appliance be the centerpiece of your kitchen. Build it into an island with a functional chopping block surface alongside.
- I love to combine items from different eras. I would mix this modern piece with traditional cabinetry and contemporary countertops like stainless steel or stone.
- The luxurious details of this range unite well with rich, dark woods and granite countertops for a modern, professional look.
- Contemporary white kitchens with clean lines and stark finishes are the perfect foil for this rich red appliance.
- For kitchens with a country aesthetic, stainless steel adds drama to whitewashed cabinetry, soft blues, and black and white accents.
Rustic wood dining table
Wood tones add warmth and are versatile and mixable, so you can use a dark, medium or light wood piece to complement or contrast.
- In a traditional dining room, a large rustic table with matching chairs and traditional brass chandelier creates old-world atmosphere and warmth.
- The juxtaposition of a rustic table and modern pieces is one of today’s hottest trends. Combine a rustic wood table with contemporary lighting and chairs and you’ll have a real conversation piece.
- Select a traditional Oriental or kilim rug to place under your table. Add a bronze-finish chandelier and cream slipcovers on dining chairs.
- Cover chairs with bright, patterned slipcovers and hang a metal pendant light above the table for an eclectic and casual setting.
- For a more kid-friendly feel, substitute upholstered benches for chairs. They add a whimsical feel and plenty of extra seating.
Kenmore Elite HE5T Laundry Pair in Barolo
- Install these beauties in a mudroom and add even more color with vibrant storage baskets and geometric wallpaper.
- For kid-friendly homes, add primary-hued window shades and picture frames to complement the color.
- Consider custom cubbies to house the laundry and augment storage. The bright designer shade means the pair can be exposed to the room as a design element.
- Contrast a black and white laundry room with the rich Barolo color for big drama.
- Install the pair side by side in an upstairs closet. (Check with your plumber for proper clearances.) A Laundry Plus™ worksurface on top is perfect for treating stains and folding clothes.
Contemporary art or photography
- Use contemporary prints in wide frames in a traditional setting to maintain a unified theme.
- In an all-white space, be bold with color and don’t bother with frames. Stretched canvases and other frameless works add unexpected style.
- Black and white photography in natural wood frames highlights a traditional space without competing with furnishings.
- Black and white photos and abstract art create a casual-chic environment.
- Use children’s artwork in any room. Not only does it offer sentiment, but also adds as much style as an expensive gallery piece.
Tell me how your home transformation turns out in the comments below.