Bake up this savory gratin and enjoy the richness of cheddar and spinach.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
258 per serving
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, divided, one cup for filling and half a cup for topping
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, divided, one half cup for filling and one half cup for topping
- 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add cream and milk and cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and add mustard and 1 cup of the cheddar.
Squeeze out as much water as possible - put the spinach in the colander and press spinach with a plate or a can. Add spinach to onion/milk mixture. Add 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano and mix well. Add kosher salt and lemon juice.
Transfer spinach to a buttered gratin dish and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and remaining 1/2 cup cheddar on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Broil for 3 more minutes or until top is lightly browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.