Learn how to make this delicious Greek meatballs on a stick recipe from the Kenmore in-house chef Kari Karch.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
1583 per serving
- 1/2 pounds ground beef, 80% lean
- 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 4 slices of white bread, crust cut off
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Kosher saltFreshly ground black pepper
- 1 English cucumber, large dice
- 1/2 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, large dice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- For Tzatziki:
- 1 hothouse cucumber
- 2 (7-ounce) containers Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and pepper
Place the milk in a shallow bowl and dunk each piece of bread in and then squeeze the excess liquid out. Tear bread into chunks and place in a large bowl.
Add the meat, onions, oregano, mint, garlic, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper in the bowl with the bread and then mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Roll out meat mixture into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Toss vegetables with oil and oregano, skewer onto wooden sticks alternating meatballs and vegetables.
Heat an outdoor grill to 400*. Place the skewers on the grill and cook until well browned all over and cooked through, about 8 minutes total, 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and serve with tzatziki and lemon wedges.
Cut cucumber in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds then discard them. Grate cucumber.
Scatter grated cucumber over a clean dishcloth. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Then let sit at least 10 minutes. Gather up the corners of the dishcloth and squeeze as much liquid from grated cucumber as possible.
In a medium bowl, combine squeezed cucumber with yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, chopped dill, garlic and the feta cheese. Season with of salt and pepper and adjust as necessary.
Serve immediately or refrigerate 2 to 4 hours to develop flavor.