Dress up these grilled chicken skewers with a freshly made green salsa.
1111 per serving
- 1 teaspoons marjoram or oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, packed
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 salt-packed anchovy, rinsed and bones removed
- 1 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 large loaf country bread, such as ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes, toasted for 10 minutes at 350 F
- 2 large lemons, sliced and cut in half across the center into half-inch thick half moons
- 16 10-inch skewers, soaked to prevent burning
Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Pour half in one large bowl and half in another large bowl.
Toss the chicken with the salt. Transfer the cubed chicken into one of the bowls with the salsa verde and toss to coat. Put the toasted bread cubes in the second bowl with the salsa verde and toss to coat. To make the skewers, thread a bread cube on the skewer, then the chicken and the lemon slice. Repeat two more times (each skewer has 3 pieces of bread, 3 pieces of chicken and 3 lemon slices).
Heat on grill over medium heat for 15 minutes. Turn the grill to medium-low heat and cook the skewers for 7 minutes per side until done. Or, cook the skewers in an oven at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
Don't toss chicken in the salsa verde - just skewer and bread it without the lemon.
Reheat and serve the skewers again or freeze them and reheat in a 350 degree oven for 3 minutes. You can also unskewer the chicken and put in a baking pan, cover with cheese, bake and serve as a strata.
Oil-packed anchovies work fine - or can be left out completely.
Use chicken breast meat vs. thigh meat (It's not as flavorful, but is lower in fat.) Try using tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash instead of chicken. Recipe created by Parties That Cook www.PartiesThatCook.com