Mayonnaise in the batter makes for an ultra moist chocolate cake that you can’t help but indulge in.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
1035 per serving
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup hot water, with 2 tablespoons of instant espresso
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter softened, for buttercream frosting
- 3-1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, for buttercream frosting
- 1-1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, for buttercream frosting
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract, for buttercream frosting
- 4 tablespoons half and half, for buttercream frosting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two, 9 inch layer cake pans. Mix all of the ingredients together until smooth and pour evenly into the cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
Stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake and if it comes out without any cake batter, your cake is cooked. If not, bake for another 5 minutes. Let cool before taking out of the cake pans.
Cream the butter in a mixer for a couple of minutes. In a large mixing bow, sift together all of the dry ingredients. With the mixer on the lowest setting, slowly add the dry mixture about 1/2 cup at a time until incorporate. Repeat. You may have to scrape down the bowl and paddle a couple of times. Once all the dry mixture is incorporated with the butter, add the vanilla and heavy cream and incorporate into the buttercream.