Aswathy Varughese and her daughter Anila Varughese share a recipe for their family’s chicken curry recipe.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
1498 per serving
- 1 chicken, cut into medium pieces (boneless or otherwise)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped or 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 cup green coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, optional
- 4 cloves
- 15 peppercorns
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or any other oil
- 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
The cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and cumin powder should be powdered together either in a grinder or using a pestle.
Heat oil in saucepan; when the oil is hot drop the mustard seeds in until they splutter. Then brown the chopped onions. Add garlic & ginger. Add spices and then add the tomatoes. Fry until in the mixture is well browned. Add in the chicken pieces and simmer on low flame until half cooked. Then add in the next set of spices that have been freshly ground (cloves, cinnamon, etc). Add freshly chopped cilantro, curry leaves and salt to taste. Cook until tender. Decorate with a few sprigs of cilantro and chopped tomatoes. Serve hot.