511 per serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef-eye of round steak, cut into 1/2 in pieces (in inexpensive cut of beef for this recipe will do, the saute & slow cooking will make the meat tender)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cup new small red potatoes, diced, with skin left on
- 10 ounces can of mushroom soup, this is used as a thickening agent
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 2 cup fresh frozen peas
- 3 ounces Bloody Butcher heirloom tomatoes, skinned (peeled) and diced (or use same amount of grape or paste tomatoes)
- 4 teaspoons Weber Steak or Chop Natural Seasoning, (season to your taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 seeded Purple (fresh) cayenne pepper, diced very fine
- 1/2 of one green very hot green jalapeno (fresh), diced very fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh purple basil leaves (green will do fine also), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
Put flour in plastic bag; add steak pieces, close bag, shake gently to coat the meat.
In a heavy skillet heat butter and olive oil on medium heat; when mixture almost bubbles gently drop by pieces, 1/2 of the floured meat into the skillet (be careful not to overheat, the butter will burn). Saute 1 to 2 minutes turning gently to brown on all sides, remove and place in bottom of slow cooker set on low. Now repeat this with the other 1/2 of the floured meat, if skillet is too dry add 1 more TBS each of butter and oil to the skillet, brown remainder of meat and place in bottom of the slow cooker .
Saute the following in the same skillet (if too dry add a little more butter and oil just to coat the skillet). Saute together: garlic, onion, celery for 1 to 2 min. on med. heat (do not overcook), remove to the slow cooker, add to the meat.
Saute together: hot pepper bits, oregano, and basil for 1 minute to open up their flavors, remove and add to slow cooker.
Add all the other fresh ingredients including the Weber Steak seasoning (if you cannot find this mix, then mix together equal amounts of black pepper, garlic salt, lemon pepper and use this as a substitute), to the slow cooker and stir gently.
Now, dump in the can of mushroom soup (do not dilute this is the thickening agent). Next, pour in the home made beef stock (or can substitute canned beef broth).
Finally, stir everything together gently, cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. (Test for doneness: if you can pierce a carrot or potato with a paring knife your soup is done just right!)
Serve piping hot with whole wheat crescent rolls topped with fresh strawberry jam Optional: Place a dollop of Horseradish Sour Cream on top of your bowl of soup just before you eat the first bite! Horseradish Sour Cream: 1C sour cream (light) 1TBS. prepared horseradish X tsp. salt X tsp. black ground pepper X tsp. garlic salt 2 amble tsp. chopped fresh chives Sprinkle 2 amble tsp of chopped fresh chives on top of the serving dish of Horseradish Sour Cream for added flair.