375 per serving
- 4 small cooking pumpkins
- 3 tablespoons unnsalted butter
- 3 small garden fresh carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup garden fresh shallots or onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, reserving some whole leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoons chinese five-spice powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced (garden fresh if possible)
- 2 cup vegetable broth or stock
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- homemade seasoned croutons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut pumpkins horizontally in half and discard seeds . Place halved pumpkins, cut side down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake for 1-2 hours or until tender. Cool, then scrape out the tender flesh from 2-3 halves and place in a blender bowl. Puree until you have 2 cups . Reserve 4 halves for serving soup bowls.
In large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add carrots, shallots, sage, five-spice powder and garlic. Saute until carrots are tender but not brown. Remove from heat and add to pumpkin in blender. Puree until smooth.
In a large saucepan combine pureed pumpkin, broth or stock, half and half and syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through.
Ladle into cooked pumpkin halves and garnish with seasoned croutons and sage leaves.