My grandmother use to make these when we would visit at Christmas time each year.
197 per serving
- 2-1/2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, grated
- flour, enough (sifted)flour to make a stiff dough--experiment by starting off with about 1/2 cup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
Mix two and one-half tablespoons of melted butter, one cup of granulated sugar, two eggs, one cup of milk, one-half nutmeg grated, sifted flour enough to make a batter as stiff as biscuit dough; add two teaspoons of baking-powder and one teaspoon of salt to the sifted flour. Flour your board well, roll dough out about half an inch thick, and cut into pieces three inches long and one inch wide. Cut a slit about an inch long in the center of each strip and pull one end through this slit. Fry quickly in hot Crisco. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of each doughnut.