Any true Southerner will admit that the secret pantry ingredient most often is a good marmalade. Experience this seasonal topping. With it’s sweet, spiced and tangy pickled qualities it will compliment any table.
176 per serving
- 6 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2-1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer mixture slowly to release all the sugars from the onions and create a thick syrupy quality. (AU SEC) Remove onions from heat, allow onions to cool in ice bath. Once cooled cover, label, date and refrigerate.