Outdoor summer parties are a great way to socialize with friends and neighbors right in your neighborhood. Whether you’re having 10 or 100 guests, there are ways you can make sure your party is planned just right.
Here are some idea starters for throwing different types of outdoor parties with various guest lists and themes.
Casual get-together for 10-25
- Play popular movie soundtracks.
- Choose classic BBQ crowd-pleasers like ribs, corn on the cob, hot dogs and hamburgers.
- Kids can shuck the corn, set the table and decorate with drawings and signs.
- Organize activities like relay races, lawn darts, volleyball or hide and seek.
Neighborhood gathering for 25-50
- Choose pop music classics that everyone can sing along to.
- Grill a leg of lamb and slice thin, stuff into pita pockets and top with tzatziki sauce for a backyard version of gyros. Serve watermelon slices for dessert. Here’s a recipe you might like: Mini Pita Pockets.
- Encourage guests to bring cameras. After the event, have everyone upload photos to Flickr.
- Ask moms and dads to be the entertainment: they can be clowns, jugglers and comedians.
All-out soiree for 50-100
- Choose a song that fits your theme and enter it into a site like Pandora. The computer will play deejay.
- Do a backyard version of surf and turf: soy-marinated beef tenderloin with lobster tails or crab legs. Check out my Rosemary and Pepper-Rubbed Rib Eye and Moroccan Grilled Salmon Charmoula.
- Ask a friend to be bartender.
- Make the first dance a “Sadie Hawkins” – women ask the men!
What are your favorite party ideas?