The smell of cornbread in the oven, fresh cut onions & celery, & then there’s the sage. Combine them all & it’s Heaven in the oven. Then you add in oysters & I’m unstoppable! A true Southern Comfort.
122 per serving
- 1 8x8 pan prepared cornbread, cooked & well browned
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 6 slices bread, toasted sorta dark,
- 1 small onion, cut in slivers
- 3 eggs
- chicken broth, enough to cover dressing
- 2 cans raw oysters
- 3 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
- salt & pepper, to taste
THE NIGHT BEFORE:Cut cooled cornbread into 2"x2" cubes & lay out to dry overnight. Toast bread & tear each piece into about 5 pieces & leave out overnight.
NEXT DAY: Mix all ingredients but broth (*I use boullion cubes with water) & place in a long cake pan. Pour enough broth over it to cover. Don't over mix it. It will become mushy. Place in 350 oven & bake for about 45 minutes or until browned & crisp on top.