The Kenmore In-house Chef Kari Karch shares a recipe for a delicious and healthy gazpacho with avocado relish and poached shrimp dish!
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
4250 per serving
- 10 ounces day old whole wheat bread, crust removed
- 21 ounces fresh summer tomatoes, skinned and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or other sweet variety), chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 8 tablespoons good Spanish Olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons good Spanish Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable stock, or more as needed
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Poached shrimp (recipe follows)
- 1 avocado, small dice
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 pounds Jamon Ham or Serrano Ham, sliced thin
- 3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoons parsley
- 8 uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
In a food processor, puree all the chopped vegetables; add the cumin, garlic, the soaked bread (water squeezed out), sherry vinegar and Olive oil and vegetable stock. Puree in the food processor until the mixture is entirely pureed and smooth. Add more cold stock if needed to get the right consistency; it should be slightly thick but should pour easily. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and re-taste for salt. In a small saut pan, fry the ham until just crispy and drain on a paper towel. Toss the avocado with the lemon juice, salt, pepper. Place a ring mold in the center of a bowl you wish to serve the soup. Add the avocado mixture and press down slightly with the back of a spoon. Remove the ring mold and top with a poached shrimp and a piece of crispy ham. Using a small ladle, ladle the soup around the avocado mixture to present.
Pour 3 cups olive oil into heavy large saucepan, and add 1 tablespoon parsley. Attach deep-fry thermometer to side of saucepan and heat oil over medium heat until thermometer registers between 165F and 180F. Add shrimp to hot oil and poach just until shrimp are opaque in center, adjusting heat to maintain temperature between 160F and 170F, about 8 minutes. Transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper.