My Dad’s family is 100% Italian, and so I grew up with a huge appreciation for good Italian foods, especially fresh, homemade Italian foods. One of my favorite antipasti (or appetizers) is caprese salad.
321 per serving
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella pearls, drained, halved
- 20 ounces refrigerated tortellini, prepared and rinsed in cold water
- fresh basil, julienned
- romaine lettuce, (optional)
- grilled chicken breast, (optional)
- 2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup granulated white sugar, (optional)
- herbed extra virgin olive oil, (optional)
Make the Balsamic Reduction
Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small pot. Bring to a boil (on high) and reduce heat to low. Stir in sugar (optional) and let simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The spoon should have the "syrup" on it with barely any drip off. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store any unused reduction in the refrigerator - it tastes delicious over grilled chicken, steak, salmon, raw or cooked veggies, salads, berries, and more!
Assemble the Salad
Gently toss Romaine lettuce (optional), tomatoes, basil, and cooked and cooled tortellini. Top with fresh mozzarella and grilled chicken breast (optional - if vegetarian, leave out or use a chicken substitute). Drizzle with some of the cooled balsamic reduction (use as much or as little as you would like, just as you would a salad dressing) and herbed olive oil (optional).