Chef Iccha Devi Ra shares her recipe for a vegetarian meat pie!
2027 per serving
- 1 pounds gound beef style tvp (textured vegetable protein), reconstituted or thawed
- 3 carrots, cut into -inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into -inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery, cut into -inch cubes
- 3 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1-1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 large baking potato, peeled and cut into -inch cubes
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 2 9 inch pie crusts, keep cold
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Preheat the oven to 375. In a skillet, combine the carrots, onion, celery, garlic and potato and cook, over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, add the tvp and cook for another 8 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the stock and cook for 10 minutes. Add the cheese, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Let cool.
On a floured surface, roll 1 crust into a 12-inch round. Place in a 10-inch skillet or deep pie dish. Roll the remaining crust to an 11-inch round. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the warm vegetable and tvp mixture to the skillet. Lightly brush the edge of the crust with some of the egg wash, then place the second sheet on top. Press the edges to seal, then trim to a 1/2-inch edge.
Place the pie on a baking sheet. Brush the top with more of the egg wash and cut an "X" into the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bake for 35 minutes, tenting with foil if the crust darkens too quickly. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Bake the pie up to 1 day ahead, then reheat in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.