For most families, time is precious with our busy schedules. But that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste and nutrition. If you’re pinched for time, here’s a list of quick 15-minute meal ideas for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Try these speedy breakfast ideas to simplify your morning routine.
- Quick bread pudding – Combine a soft-boiled egg with cubed bread. Sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper or, if you’re adventurous, top with thyme, oregano or chili pepper flakes.
- Italian delight – An overseas classic: wrap slices of cantaloupe in prosciutto for an unusual flavor combination.
- Breakfast Strata with Spinach, Red Pepper and Gruyere
- Oatmeal with a boost – Mix oats with almond milk, agave nectar, cinnamon and chopped almonds for a crunchy take on classic muesli.
- Bagels and lox – The night before, slice red onions and tomatoes; add capers, cream cheese and thinly sliced smoked salmon (lox); arrange on a platter and chill. The Kenmore TRIO® refrigerator lets you store a full deli platter without rearranging your refrigerator. In the morning, toast bagels and let everyone dig in.
Lunch on the run
Make time for real meals on hectic weekends. You only need a few minutes to make a satisfying lunch.
- Personal pizza – Skip the frozen variety and top your favorite bagel or muffin with tomato sauce, cheese and pepperoni or other toppings. Broil until cheese melts.
- Surprising salad – If you’re ready for a unique flavor combinations, try a salad of cubed watermelon, kalamata olives and feta cheese.
- Beer brats – A Midwestern classic. Buy brats from your local market and simmer them in beer until cooked through, then broil or grill. Top with sautéed onions.
- Meatless “burgers” – Grill Portabella mushrooms and top with lettuce, tomato and onion on a hamburger bun. The meaty texture and flavor is like eating a burger, minus the fat.
Dine and dash evening meals
We can all use more easy-to-prepare meal ideas to make the most of precious evening hours.
- Creamy salmon – Brush flavored mayonnaise on salmon and broil it until cooked through.
- Mediterranean chicken salad – Combine cooked orzo, shredded rotisserie chicken, marinated artichoke hearts, tomatoes, lemon juice, kalamata olives and feta cheese for a taste that will transport you straight to Greece.
- Vegetable stir-fry – Toss frozen chopped vegetables with thinly sliced pre-cooked chicken breast and teriyaki or other Asian sauce; serve over rice.
- Panini – Few things are as satisfying as a warm and gooey Panini sandwich. Choose any combination of ingredients; my favorite is prosciutto, fresh mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Grill until cheese melts.
Give these a try, then come back and let me know what you think!