Learn how to make buttermilk fried chicken with pancetta waffles and spiced maple syrup from the Kenmore In-house Chef Kari Karch!
1402 per serving
- 1 free-range, organic chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 buttermilk
- 3 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 tub Crisco shortening
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 pounds pancetta, diced and cooked
- 2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons roasted chile oil
Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, soak the chicken in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour till overnight. Mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together and spread on a plate. Dredge each chicken piece in the seasoned flour to coat well.Heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a cast iron pan until it reads 350 on a candy thermometer. In small batches, place a few pieces of the chicken in the oil at a time and fry for 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, turn each piece over, then cover the pan to cook for an additional 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and salt well.
1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center. 2. In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil. 3. Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy). 4. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up). 5. Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white, Do not overmix. 6. Stir in pancetta and spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it.
Pour all contents into a saucepan and heat over low heat for 1 hour. Strain if needed and serve.