Add sparkle and atmosphere to an outdoor ceremony or just add charming ambiance to your walkways, gardens or patio.
- Collect mason jars or recycled clear jars from flea markets, garage sales and antique stores.
- Get a spool of thin copper or steel wire that’s bendable. One piece needs to be measured to make the lantern handle & another piece will make a loop/handle that goes around top of lantern.
- To measure, wrap the first piece of wire around the mouth of the jar, then add 3-4 inches to the length of the wire and cut the wire. Take one end of the wire, wrap it around a pen or pencil to form a unified loop, then wrap that end of the loop wire around itself to close the loop.
- Now place the loop on one side of your jar and pull the excess wire half way around the jar so it ends exactly opposite your first loop. Make a reference point (bend the wire) as this is where you need to make your second loop for the handle. Make your second loop like you made the first loop.
- Place the wire around the glass jar and secure the end of the wire by twisting it around the first loop you made. Cut off any excess wire.
- To make the handle, cut a piece of wire to desired length and loop each end of the wire through the loops on the jar and twist wire on each end to secure.
- Next add a small amount of white sand inside the jar to help secure the tea light. Add a tea light or small candle, depending on size of jar, to complete your lantern.