This Indiana girl could not be happier to know that spring has finally sprung! I am so excited to throw open those windows and to get my home ready for this warmer season. In honor of all the spring cleaning today I wanted to share with you an easy 5-minute craft to create wet and dry reusable floor pads for your mop. This idea couldn’t be easier and will cost you less than $20 in supplies that you can use over and over again.
Not only will you save a lot of money creating these for yourself, you will also be doing a great service to the environment since these are reusable and made with green cleaners!
Supplies Needed for the Wet Reusable Floor Pads
- 4 cups of vinegar
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dish soap (I chose a Mrs. Meyers in a fresh lemon scent)
- 1 gallon size freezer bag
- 11×11 utility dishcloths (I purchased eighteen)- as you can see in the picture below, these are ALMOST the same exact size as our purchased pads, but you won’t have to do any sewing to achieve it!
- Measuring cup & spoon
- Floor pad mop
1. In a gallon size freezer bag, mix together your vinegar, water, and dish soap. I used a measuring cup to help hold the bag in place as I filled it and then sealed and swished the bag to mix the ingredients.
2. Insert your utility cloths into the solution until they are submerged.
3. When you are ready to use them, simply wring out a little of the solution and then place on your mop as you would the purchased pads. Clean your floors and then shake any debris into the trash can and throw them in the wash when you are done.
As you can see, these do a great job of gathering crumbs from our floor. These would also be great for swiping down surfaces in lieu of those throw away wipes that you might be using to clean your home. The best part though is that these do not streak my laminate flooring like the purchased pads did. My floors have no residue and the vinegar smell dissipates quickly, leaving a clean and natural shine.
Supplies Needed for the Dry Reusable Floor Pads
- 1 yard of fleece (I purchased this at our fabric store), any color
- A dry Swiffer Pad to use as a template or you can use the 11×11 utility dishcloths for a template for your pads
- Reusable floor pad mop
1. Using a dry reusable floor pad or your 11×11 dishcloth as a template, cut your fleece to the same size. Repeat, making as many as you like.
2. Place on your mop just as you would do with your purchased pads. Do a dry dusting of your floors with your reusable pads to gather dust, debris, and hair. Shake off any loose debris in the trash when you are done. Wash and reuse.
As you can see, these also do a great job of gathering hair and dust. I love to use these in my bathroom where it can be difficult to trap the dust and hair.
I love my shiny floors and look forward to replacing all of those pads with these easy DIY alternatives. Since these just take about 5-minutes to create, you have no time to lose and will have a beautiful home in no time flat!
I hope you found today’s project inspiring! Have you ever created your own DIY Floor Pads? Feel free to leave your ideas below to share with our Kenmore community!