Whether you’re waving a rainbow flag on the sideline of a parade or keeping it low key with a brunch with your besties, this rainbow cake is another great way to show your true colors this month. With a box of food coloring (you’ll need all the colors of the rainbow!) and the Kenmore vanilla bean cake recipe below, you’ll be serving pride by the slice.
There are a couple tricks to creating this rainbow cake. First of all, you’ll need to double the vanilla bean cake recipe. Secondly, you’ll use small layers of batter into which you’ll mix food coloring. If you only have two round cake pans, it may take a little while to create this cake and you’ll need to wait between baking cycles.
Vanilla Bean Cake
6 eggs, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
3 cups flour, sifted
3 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10″ cake pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs and sugar together on medium speed for 5-7 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil, sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla bean paste. Whisk until combined.
5. Add the oil mixture to the sugar and eggs.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches, mixing only until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Frost with Simple Homemade Buttercream Frosting.
Whether you’re baking a cake or prepping a whole meal, Kenmore has the tools to help you get the job done. From mixers and other small kitchen appliances to ranges and wall ovens, Kenmore can help you be a little more amazing every day.