All I have to say is thank goodness that the holiday weekend is over. I mean, I just cannot stomach one more char-grilled-bbq-rubbed-burger-dog with a side of mayo-injected potato salad. I’m quite sure that there will be plenty more friend’s houses to hit up the remainder of the summer with deliciously bad grub for me, but today I’m taking a stand and saying ‘yes’ to all things good for me.
So during the summer months in my house, I do a variety of Mediterranean eats including hummus, roasted chickpeas, grilled fish, vegetable salads, and marinated poultry. I buy foods that are locally farmed, and cook with the least amount of ingredients possible and I always make sure that I have leftovers for lunch and hopefully dinner the next day. The following recipe may sound a little daunting, but rest assured, it will knock your socks off (and maybe a couple of pounds too.) This recipe will yield about 2 cups of hummus and 2 cups of chicken. I used about 2 tablespoons for each wrap and about the same chicken. I love that this meal was great as lunch or dinner, and that my friends were begging for the recipe.
Lemon Artichoke Hummus with Cilantro Chicken and Marinated Vegetable Wraps
For the hummus (adapted from What’s Cooking Chicago)
- 1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves
- Zest of one lemon and ¼ lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup waterWhisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup. Process chickpeas, ¾ cup chopped artichokes, garlic, lemon zest, salt, cumin, cayenne, and parsley in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula and add the lemon juice and water. Continue processing for another minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
For the remaining recipe:
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 8 oz tub of prepared pesto
- ½ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 large whole wheat wraps
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on medium high heat for 10 minutes or until no longer pink. While the chicken is cooking, combine the pesto, cilantro, and stock in a food processor and pulse till combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Remove chicken from the heat and let cool, toss with pesto mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper. To assemble wraps, line up whole wheat wraps and spread hummus on each wrap. Top with chicken and vegetable medley. Roll up and cut in half. Serve and enjoy.
For more recipes and tips check out Kenmore TV! I would love to hear from you, so let me know if you enjoyed this recipe.