And for the final post, I thought what better than to have my parents give me some advice on how to make my marriage work. They have been married for almost 27 years. And I can honestly say they really like each other and enjoy each other’s company after all these years. I definitely look to them as inspiration for my own relationship with Mike. So here is their advice on how they have been able to make it work:
Jackie asked us to give our two cents on marriage. We will be married 27 years this December and get along as well now as when we first met.
– First of all the wife is always right. That is coming from Don.
– If someone is in a bad mood either keep your distance or do a stupid dance in front of them.
– Remedy to last statement. Always be in a good mood. Who has time to be a crab ass? Be kind to one another.
– Jealousy does not work in a relationship. Trust each other and show each other trust by example.
– We all have our issues but not trying to change the other and accept them as they are is important.You knew what you were getting into when you married. If someone is a tight ass or a spend thrift accept that and learn how to compromise.
– Take the time to listen to one another, as Rose says, “really listen.”
– Laugh at and with each other. Stupid dances always seem to work.
– Share in responsibilities.
– If you want something done make the other feel like it was their idea.
– Someone needs to always be the designated driver. We know who that is in this family.
– If someone snores earplugs work great since nothing else really does.
– Take an interest in the others hobby(s).
– It is important to take vacation time away from work, together.
– Be willing to share your dessert.
– Try to enjoy some of the same TV shows otherwise you will always be in another room.
These are a few things on short notice, I know we could come up with more but we are not professional bloggers like Jackie. Time to go cuddle up on the couch and watch one of our shows we DVR’d.
Don & Rose
Thanks Mom & Dad! I think a few of those might have been directed specifically toward Mike & I!
So my final questions is: what’s your best marriage advice?
Thank you so much to everyone for going on this journey with me! I can’t believe it’s been 2 months already. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with all this free time now that I will not be blogging.
signing off- jackie