This gorgeous cake will be the hit at any party and its so simple to put together! Happy Eating!
0 per serving
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- soft gel food coloring, red, yellow, green, blue, purple
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10" cake pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. 2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. 3. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs and sugar together on medium speed for 5-7 minutes until pale and fluffy. 4. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil, sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla bean. Whisk until combined. Note: All the ingredients should all be at room temperature to maximize flavor and combination. 5. Add the oil mixture to the sugar and eggs. 6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in batches, mixing only until combined. Do not over mix the batter. 7. In 2 medium bowls, divide the batter equally. Whisk in each gel until desired color is reached. Each recipe makes 2 9" rounds so you will have to almost triple the recipe for all the layers. 8. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients: cup softened unsalted butter (I prefer grass-fed) 4 Tbsp. heavy cream 2 tsp. vanilla extract 4 cups powdered sugar Directions: In a Kenmore stand mixer, beat the butter for 3 minutes on medium high until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Turn the mixer to slow and carefully add in the powdered sugar. If the frosting is too stiff, add in a bit more heavy cream till a creamy consistency is achieved. Cake Assembly Place the purple layer of cake on a cake board. Spread a rounded 1/4 cup of buttercream on top. Repeat with blue, green, yellow, orange and red. Use 1/2 a cup of buttercream for the crumb coat of the cake. Let chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Once chilled, coat the cake with another layer of buttercream.