When I have a spare weekend, I like to use it to focus on a single room in my home. I might just give it a good cleaning, or I might repaint, reorganize or rearrange the furniture. If the room that needs the most attention is your kitchen, then I’ve got some ideas for you!
Organize your kitchen
- Declutter your countertops. Edit accessories; use baskets and canisters for small items, and store unused items out of sight.
- Create a message center for managing keys, mail, school papers and calendars.
- Store items together where they are used: dishes and glassware near the dishwasher. Mugs near the coffee pot. Pots, pans and spices near the stove. Baking ingredients and rolling pins near the mixer.
- Optimize storage space. Add a rolling island with butcher-block top and shelf below for extra storage and counter space.
- Install extra shelving in the pantry for countertop appliances or cookware. Buy and install interior cabinet accessories like dividers and rollout racks.
Refresh your space
- Paint kitchen cabinets and change the hardware.
- Introduce color on window treatments, chair cushions and area rugs.
- Update kitchen accessories and small appliances.
- Paint an accent wall – or the entire room! Use chalkboard paint or magnetic paint, just for fun.
- Wallpaper your kitchen. It’s a hot new design trend.
- Plant an indoor herb garden. Every room needs some green!
Maintain and repair
Clean! Freshen walls, surfaces and appliances with a thorough cleaning.
- Repair drywall before painting or decorating.
- Repair, restore and re-grout ceramic tile.
Update your fixtures and surfaces
- Install a decorative tile backsplash.
- Install a new sink and faucet.
- Choose new flooring or dress up what you have.
- Install undercabinet or pendant lighting.
- Replace countertops.
Are you motivated to make a quick change at home? What project are you planning?