When it comes to choosing the perfect refrigerator for your home, you want to get it right. So before you dive headfirst into some serious online and in-store comparison shopping, save yourself some time by reading our list of top four tips you should keep in mind before buying a refrigerator.
Tip 1: Size matters.
Before you can even begin to dream of the perfect fridge for your kitchen, you’ll need to get some numbers straight: height, width and depth, to be specific.
Get the exact dimensions of the space where you want your fridge to go. You’ll need to account for 2–3” of space around all sides of the fridge to allow for proper ventilation. Additionally, make sure you can open your refrigerator door(s) to a 90-degree angle or more to access bins and in-door storage space.
Capacity got you stumped? Our recommendation for an active family of four is a 24 cu. ft. capacity* refrigerator, but we suggest erring on the larger side to keep air circulating and reduce overcrowding food.
*For each additional family member, add about 4–6 cu. ft. capacity.
Tip 2: Look for Functionality!
French door, side-side-by side, bottom freezer. How do you know which refrigerator is best for you? We suggest getting to know the features and then choosing the model that best suits your needs. After all, your ideal refrigerator should be just as functional as it is beautiful. Use the chart above to help you decide which style works best for you and your home.
Tip 3: Feast on Features
Just like choosing toppings for an ice cream sundae, choosing features can significantly enhance your refrigeration experience and make life better! Check out some of the Kenmore brand’s amazing features:
• SlideAway Shelves — Fit taller items like wine bottles or layered cakes.
• Temperature-Controlled Pantry Drawer — Keeps items like deli snacks, seafood or cold drinks in a convenient and separate space for easy access.
• GeniusCoolTM Technology — Cools the refrigerator and the freezer separately to help ensure that frozen foods don’t get freezer burn and that produce stays its green and leafy best.
• Ice and Filtered Water Dispenser — For fresh water at your fingertips.
• Active FinishTM — Keeps fingerprints at bay.
• PreView™ Grab-N-Go™Door — Gives you quick view and easy access to your favorite foods.
• Smart Fridge — Get remote access to your fridge via your smartphone and receive notifications regarding service, when to change the filter and even when the door is ajar.
Tip 4: Become an energy-saving superstar!
Appliances account for about 20% of your home’s energy consumption. So it’s important to know just how much you could save when you buy energy-efficient appliances. Save energy and money and do something good for the environment by shopping Kenmore® ENERGY STAR® certified appliances.
You can also be more energy efficient with the unique features of the Kenmore Smart Refrigerators and the Kenmore Smart app. With the ability to monitor temp, filter life and door open/close status, you’ll be able to make sure you’re running at peak performance.
Tip 5: Find Your Finish
Now that we’ve gotten all the mechanicals out of the way, let’s get down to the fun stuff – choosing a finish! Whether you like the modern industrial styling of stainless steel or the basic brightness of white, finding your finish is the one aspect of appliance shopping that’s all about aesthetics. And if you’re ready for something really different, check out the newest finish to hit Kenmore refrigerators: Black Stainless.