Learn how to make this delicious classic seafood gumbo recipe from the Kenmore in-house chef Kari Karch.
1547 per serving
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 28-ounce can diced San Marzano tomatoes with juice
- 1 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 3/8-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 ounces sliced frozen okra or more to taste, 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or more to taste
- 1 tablespoons Creole/Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoons file powder
- 1 tablespoons Old Bay
- 1 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds raw, peeled, deveined medium shrimp
- Minced fresh Italian parsley and sliced green onions for garnish
Heat oil in a heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until very hot and almost smoking. Add flour and stir constantly until mixture is dark reddish brown. About 45 minutes.
Put chopped onion, red bell peppers, garlic and celery to food processor & mix.
Add food processor mix to the roux & let cook for 10mins.
Pull apart & chop thyme. Then add to the pot & mix.
Add bay leaves & white wine. Stir and cook for 6 mins.
Add worcestershire, cayenne, file powder, dry mustart, creole seasoning & old bay. Stir everything together.
Add tomatoes with juice, clam juice, chicken broth, sausage with deglaze, chicken, green onions, parsley & frozen okra. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Optional: Gumbo base can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring base to a simmer before continuing the next day. Skim off oil if desired.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve with rice if desired. Garnish with minced fresh Italian parsley and sliced green onions.