Learn how to make this delicious strawberry ginger pie from the Kenmore in-house chef Kari Karch.
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /nas/content/live/kcd2018/wp-content/themes/thevoux-wp-child/inc/templates/single/style1.php on line 291
714 per serving
- 3 cup flour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 pounds strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup plus
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoons candied ginger, minced
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 tablespoons turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Pulse flour, butter, and 1 tsp. salt in a food processor until pea-size pieces form. Add cup ice-cold water; pulse until dough forms. Form into a ball; halve and form into two disks. Wrap; chill for 1 hour.
Heat oven to 425. In a bowl, toss together remaining salt, berries, cup sugar, cornstarch, juice, zest, ginger, and vanilla; set filling aside. Unwrap dough; roll both into 11" wide and 1/8" thick circles. Transfer one circle to a 9" deep-dish pie pan; mound filling inside. Cut "-wide strips of dough from remaining circle; transfer to top of pie, creating a lattice pattern. Trim and crimp edges. Brush dough with cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 1 hour. (If crust begins to brown before pie is finished baking, cover with foil until pie is done). Let cool.